Playgrounds are a source of endless fun for kids and families alike. However, after years of use, playground equipment can become worn, outdated, and even dangerous. So, what do you do with old swingsets and playground equipment? Below are some environmentally friendly and safe options for disposing of them.
Recycling old playground equipment is an excellent option for several reasons. Firstly, it reduces waste by giving the equipment a new life. Secondly, it prevents the harmful chemicals that make up much of playground equipment from ending up in landfills. Here’s how to recycle old playground equipment:
- Identify the materials: Most playground equipment is made up of metal, plastic, or wood. Identify the materials that make up your old equipment to determine what can be recycled.
- Find a recycling center: Research recycling centers in your area to find out which ones accept playground equipment. It is important to check before you go, as not all recycling centers accept all materials.
- Prep the equipment: Taking out any non-recyclable materials, such as bolts, screws, and other small parts, will simplify the material processing for the recycling center.
- Transport the equipment: The dimensions and weight of the equipment may necessitate renting a truck or trailer for its transportation to the recycling center.
Donating old playground equipment is an excellent option for those who want to help their community. Due to budget constraints, several schools, churches, and community centers depend on donations as they cannot afford to purchase new playground equipment. Here’s how to donate old playground equipment:
- Find an organization: Research organizations in your area that accept donations of playground equipment. Some organizations will come and pick up the equipment for you, while others require you to drop it off.
- Contact the organization: After locating an organization, communicate with them to determine if they are currently accepting donations and to inquire about their donation process.
- Prep the equipment: Ensure that the equipment is in a good and safe condition for use. Clean it thoroughly and remove any broken or dangerous parts.
- Transport the equipment: Transporting the equipment to the organization may require renting a truck or trailer based on its size and weight.
- Selling old playground equipment is an excellent option for those who want to make some money back from their investment. Here’s how to sell old playground equipment:
- Determine the value: Research the value of your equipment to determine what it’s worth. Consider its age, condition, and any special features it may have.
- Find a buyer: There are several options for selling playground equipment, including online marketplaces, classified ads, and auctions. Select the option that suits you the most.
- Prep the equipment: Clean the equipment thoroughly and make any necessary repairs. Make sure it’s safe for use.
- Price of the equipment: Set a fair price for the equipment based on its value and condition.
- Complete the sale: Once you’ve found a buyer, complete the sale and transport the equipment to its new home.
Those who want to exercise their creativity can consider repurposing old play set equipment as an excellent alternative. Here are some excellent and creative ideas for repurposing old playground equipment:
- Turn a swing into a porch swing: Remove the swing seat and replace it with a larger seat and some cushions to turn it into a cozy porch swing.
- Make a garden trellis out of monkey bars: Remove the monkey bars and use them to create a trellis for climbing plants.
- Create a sculpture: Use the different pieces of playground equipment to create a unique sculpture for your yard or garden.
- Build a treehouse: Use the old playground equipment to build a treehouse for your kids to enjoy.
- Make a bench: Remove the seat of a swing and attach it to a wooden frame to create a bench.
Disposing of old playground equipment
Disposing of old playground equipment is a last resort, but it’s sometimes necessary. You have two choices when it comes to disposing of old playground equipment. The first is to do it yourself, and the second is to have a professional junk removal company help you out. Utah Valley Junk Removal can help anyone in Utah County, including Provo and Orem. If you decide to go the solo route, here’s how to dispose of old playground equipment safely by yourself:
- Find a landfill: Research landfills in your area that accept playground equipment. Not all landfills accept all types of garbage, so be sure to check before you go.
- Prep the equipment: Remove any non-recyclable materials from the play set, such as bolts, screws, and other small parts. This will make it easier for the landfill to process the materials. It should also reduce the cost.
- Transport the swingset: Depending on the size and weight of the equipment, you may need to rent a truck or trailer to transport it to the dump.
Disposing of old swing sets and playground equipment properly is important for both safety and environmental reasons. Recycling, donating, selling, repurposing, and disposing of are all viable alternatives for discarding old playground equipment. We advise that you evaluate these options thoroughly before deciding which approach to take. Remember, reducing waste and protecting the environment is everyone’s responsibility.